Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hunt & Ski Adventure

I never started out trying to create any adventure beyond going into the woods and hunting for a few hours on the 4th day before the 2010 deer season ends.   Starting at 1pm it took longer than expected to gather up my gear and get loaded up for the 3/4 mile journey down the road to the north parking lot of the Linwood School Forest.       Hunting in this section of the forest is not permitted, but the groomed cross country ski trails that run next to the Wildlife Managment Area seem too inviting to ignore.  It's a  1700 yard walk from parking to legal hunting area now that the gates have been closed due to snow on the unmaintained roads.

In the parking lot at 2:30pm I started putting on my snow camo bibs and jacket, and threw the new TenPoint crossbow sling over my shoulder.   I snapped the 30 year old cross country skis to my boots and started down the trail - one I haven't been on for many years.   Soon after starting I came across a couple of skiers headed toward me.  They had stopped on top of the hill I was just starting up.   I stepped to the side and called out that it would take me a while to pigeon walk up the hill so they may as well come down rather than wait for me.   The woman stayed on the top of the hill while the man started down the trail obviously out of control and inexperienced on skis.   He crashed into the snow at the base of the hill but said he was generally uninjured except for his pride.   The woman called down to say she would take off her skis and walk down - which she did.    I stared up the hill pigeon walking the edges of my skis.   Not bad I thought to myself after cresting the hill.  I thought I might be more winded than what I was.   Now comes the unexpected part - going down the other side of the hill.   For the most part it wouldn't be to difficult I thought,  I was once a fairly accomplished down-hill skier and would often be labeled a 'hot-dog' on the hills.   That was a long time ago.   As I picked up speed and started challenging my balance I looked down trail to discover that right at the base of hill was a 30 degree turn to the left.   Fortunately for me others had also zoomed down the straight section and were not able to successfully navigate the radius of the trail making for a fairly well traveled alternative route out into the now frozen and snow covered marsh.   Still standing as I slid to stop in the deeper snow I felt a sense of accomplishment as I had not down-hill skied in maybe 20 years.    Several more up hill walks and down hill terror runs followed as I made my way to where I could leave the trail and cut cross-country over a marsh and into the legal hunting area of the Gordi Michelson Wildlife Management Area.

The snow was plenty deep and my skis would help support me to only sink in about a foot when off-trail.  Very much a contrast from the groomed x-country trails which are very hard-packed but torn up from what looks like a large heard of deer that must walk these at night.   Well used deer trails crossed the trail every few yards.  One would think it impossible to not stumble on deer in these woods - but so far I had seen nothing.

Arriving at the edge of the WMA and the Forest I propped my skis and poles against a tree and went off on foot for another 50 yards where I came across a area with significant sign of where deer had been bedding down and a freeway style deer trail running through the wooded area between open marsh and open field.   This is the squeeze area where deer would have to pass through if they wanted to stay in the protection of woods when moving from the hunting area to the non-hunting area where they are safe, but is lacking for food.   I found a fallen tree in a brushy area that would mask my presence and keep me within 40 yards of either edge of woods or that well traveled trail.    It's now nearly 4pm.  

I loaded my crossbow using the hand crank to pull back the 185 pound string to its cocked position and inserted a bolt (arrow).   I sat quietly for about and hour, then stood leaning against a tree for another half hour or so.   It gets dark quickly in the woods.  One minute your thinking its still good - the next your looking for a flashlight.

There comes a time when you think 'its over' and you start to arrange your gear for the trek back to the truck.  I dismounted the bolt in the crossbow but would leave it cocked as I had nothing 'soft' to fire a unloading bolt into.    I found my skis and poles and started down the trail back towards the north parking lot.   This is when it started to get interesting.

I thought there might be some moonlight to work with - but my night vision didn't seem to be kicking in and I found it difficult to stay on the groomed trail.   I did happen upon my off-trail track coming across the marsh but I decided to stay on the groomed trail as I thought it would just circle the marsh and bring me back to where I wanted to be on the other side.   That turned out to be wishful thinking and it wasn't to much longer and I realized that I was approaching the south parking lot and not going in the right direction at all.   Recalling that there would be a branch or split near the south entrance that would take me back to the north I continued on until I found the second groomed trail headed back the way I needed to go.    What I had not counted on was that this alternate route was more of a advanced trail - where on the way in during daylight I was on the 'easy' trail - I was now heading down the advanced trail, in the dark.   I dug my new headlamp out of the new fanny pack and with it in 'floodlight' mode I could easily see the ski track and trail - for about 20 feet ahead of me.    Did I mention this was the advanced trail?   Not long after starting I discovered why it was marked as advanced.   Starting down a moderate grade I was able to coast and needed to make very gentle turns.  As the hill became steeper, the turns became tighter and my speed was increasing significantly.     Snowplowing on cross country skis is somewhat of a art as without any heel attachment keeping the skis from crossing each other is a bit of a challenge.   At some point I gave up on attempting speed reduction and focused on stability vs. velocity.  It was just about the same time I started picturing myself falling in the snow and pushing a broadhead through my throat.   Steady - steady - Zoom!  I was really hauling butt down that hill!   Manuevering through the two turns I coasted maybe 30 yards across the flat at the bottom of the marsh.  I think they could hear me yelling Wahoo! all the way out to the parking lot.  

The hills and turns after that one were not nearly as difficult - or possibly I was just less afraid of them after conquering the first big one.   I seemed to have a little more energy as I skied towards the truck, it seemed like I could have turned around and done it all over again.

Was a good hunt, and a good ski.   I didn't bag a deer, but I made it back to the truck without stabbing myself with a arrow while crashing in the woods in the cold black night.

No comments:

Post a Comment